Thursday, December 6, 2007

Significant Object

I have a baby doll that I have had since I was a year old. I got it from my grandmother my first Christmas. My doll is a Cabbage Patch Kid. Her name is Georgina. She came with a birth certificate and I remember thinking that was the coolest thing. She has a large, round head with no hair. She wears pink pants that are supposed to be shorts and a white tank top with pink flowers. Normal doll clothes are too big for her because she is a small doll compared to most. Her feet look like stubs but are cute and her hands are really fat. She has a dimple in her right cheek. When I was younger I use to change her outfit on a regular basis.
The reason I got this doll was because she kind of looked like me when I was a baby. I have a dimple in my right cheek and was bald until about the time I was two. I was premature when I was born, so I was a very small baby.
I used to carry her around everywhere. She would come to sleepovers with me. I would bring her on vacation. I would carry her around the house. I never brought her to school though, except for show and tell sometimes. When I was younger I use to sleep with her every night. I could not fall asleep without her. Since then I have grown up and no longer need her with me all the time. I would never think of throwing or giving her away, I just don't need her all the time. When my bed is made she sits on the bed. When it is not made she lays on a pile of pillows that belong on my bed. I can remember a time when I thought I lost her. I was devastated. My brother kept telling me that I could just buy a new one, but I told him that nothing could ever be the same as her. She was irreplaceable. I eventually found her in the basement and was absolutely thrilled.
She is a security blanket for me. I know that I will always have something. I will never be alone. She makes me feel safe. I feel like I have some kind of protection with her. Surprisingly, she is in pretty good shape for being eighteen years old. She had been through a lot and even though there have not been many difficult times in my life I still consider myself a strong individual. Baby dolls seem to represent a sweet, innocent, affectionate object and I feel as though I can be described as that as well.

1 comment:

fazno41590 said...

The object you picked is perfect for you. I loved your essay and how you relate the doll to you. The doll is something you will treasure forever. I know older ladies who still have their favorite childhood dolls. I remember this doll from when we were little, and how we used to play school with the dolls. I may be mistaken however I believe she has also been to a few campouts or sleepover when we were younger. You could not have picked a better object to represent you!